What's new in latest versions
Version 3.5 (Feb-24-2003)
- Delphi 6 and Delphi 7 compatibility.
- Tested with ADO, Clientdataset, DBISAM
3.X and other datasets.
- Print wordwrap.
- TEtvCloneRecord.Caption. TEtvCloneRecord.Subdatasets.Caption
- EtvPrint page problem fixed.
- New functions in the EtvDBFun unit.
- Bug fixes.
Version 3.4 (Jun-25-2001)
- Compatibility with various BDE alternatives.
- TEtvDBGrid, the Lookups property for definition lookup
information directly in grid; drag-and-drop, popup menu for grid lookup combo boxes.
- Lookup combo box, possibility to switch lookup list dataset;
multi columns filters without describing of event; options to limit list box during incremental search, to show only key field when closed, to accept value then Tab is pressed, to auto complete search, to gray text when ReadOnly; new functions in popup menu.
- Switching on/off acceleration for grid and controls.
- TEtvDBText, the LookupDataSet, LookupKeyField properties.
- EtvConst unit, many default keys and options.
- TEtvFilter, Choose records with no one subrecord; properties to tune on various datasets.
- TEtvRecordScrollBox, the component for generation of one-record editing window.
- TEtvTabSheet, the OnActivate and OnDeactivate events.
- All units are remaked, library has been divided into base package and separate parts, each part can work independently; user may register whole Etv Library or separate its
- Etv Library has been tested with Delphi 5.0 Update Pack
- FieldQuotes property is added to TEtvFilter and
- Caption and ExternalInfo properties are added to TEtvFilter and its
- NotUseOldFilter property is added to
- Quotes parameter is added to AllFieldNames, SortingToDataSet and
- Value AutoWidth is added to the Options property of TFormDB;
- Some bugs have been fixed.
- TEtvDBLookupCombo can change LookupDataSet sorting
- Popup menu of TEtvDBLookupCombo
has been added
- Some bugs have been fixed
- Delphi 5 is now supported
- Library can work without BDE, see
- TEtvFilter works with any dataset
- Edit Forms Calling Mechanism works
with any dataset. The OnEditData event has been added to TEtvDBLookupCombo and TEtvLookField
- TotalFont property has been added to the TEtvDBGrid
- StoreLookupData property has been
added to the TEtvLookField
field for compatibility with different datasets. If TEtvLookField doesn't work with
some datasets when StoreLookupData=true, set this property to false. For
example, this is required
for ADO datasets from Delphi 5. Otherwise set this property to true to
increase speed. For example, this works for all descendants of TBDEDataset. If
you upgraded from previous versions of Etv library, now all EtvLookField will have StoreLookupData=false.
Components for supporting lookup
TEtvLookField, TEtvDBLookupCombo, TEtvDBGrid, etc.
The lookup components include lookup combo box, dbgrid, lookup field and other auxiliary components. They allow for the following features:
Display of several fields in the closed lookup combo box and in the grid
Setting filters on the lookup drop-down list
Multi-level lookup combo box with fixed levels and trees
Advanced incremental search with displayed input string; can work with numbers
- Calling LookupDataset edit form and getting values from
- Direct editing KeyField in the LookupComboBox and in the
- Toggling search/input column
- Toggling between lookup dataset sorting
- Special lookup field with support of all lookup
features, including determination of several fields in the LookupResultField
- Saving lookup information for later use (from lookupResultField and other special
- Components for displaying saved lookup
- Defining TFont for any line from lookup drop-down
- Lookup list headers. These display field names or other user-defined
- Automatic choice of input column (for
- Possibility of working inside the TDBCtrlGrid
Possibility of setting values not present in the LookupDataSet
- Other properties and options
TEtvDBGrid is descendant of
- Powerful lookup fields (see above), supporting all of Etv Lookup features
- Multi-line headers, changing number of header rows depending on the column size
- "Total" row at the bottom of the grid which can show any information such as column sums, quantity of records, etc.
- Fixed list fields
- Font and color settings for any cell including in the editing mode
- User-defined visibility and sequence of fields in a special dialog window. Some fields may be marked as internal and always-hidden
- Possibility to print out a table or one record in the text or graphics mode with title, page setup, numbering, fonts choice, line spacing, etc., as well as to save in a text file
- Toggling between keyboard layouts
- Records cloning
- Generation of one-record editing window
- User-defined substitution of controls for any field types. For example, descendant of TDateEdit from RX library may be used as date editor
- Other functions and options
filter builder, sorting and search of records
TEtvFilter component allows the end-user to define queries and filters for single datasets and groups of datasets linked as master-detail or
differently. It automatically substitutes the dataset for the generated query and vice
versa; may set a filter to the dataset in simple cases. Defining conditions in a special dialog
window, user may easily define any extracts of information. Information can be saved to stream and to disk. One can create (recommended) one's own procedure for saving information to one's database or anywhere else.
It is simple in use, user needs only to set DataSource and call
the Execute method.
TEtvDBSortingCombo component allows to change the order of records in the dataset, including SQL datasets (such as TQuery). The user can define the list of sorting criteria. List of available sorting criteria may be taken from:
- Items property, when property SelfList=true.
- Index list - for the TTable and similar datasets with the IndexFields property or other descendant of TDBDataSet with TableName property (TEtvQuery has that property)
- SortingList property of dataset. Etv datasets have that property, one can define it in one's own datasets.
TEtvFindDlg component can search for records by using sorting fields, including SQL datasets (such as TQuery). It shows a dialog with controls for input of search values. Parameters "Case sensitive" and "Full coincidence" are used. It can look for nearest records.
It is simple in use, user needs only to set DataSource and call the Execute
Fixed list fields
and other components for short fixed lists. Text values from the list correspond to smallint values from the database. For example, "small/middle/large" in the application will correspond to
"0/1/2" in the database. The user describes text values in the
TEtvListField and they are used everywhere.
Edit Forms Calling Mechanism &
Base DB Form
Direct calling of edit form for any dataset displayed on a form, transfer of values to the edit form, setting of the dataset position, return of values from the edit form. Most useful for editing lookup datasets.
Definition of "OnEditData"
events in the data-aware controls and in the datasets allows to proceed from
data to their edit forms
(Such events exist
in the TEtvDBLookupCombo and TEtvLookField components). Components TEtvDBLookupCombo
and TEtvDbGrid can use this event, send current key value (KeyField.Name
and KeyField.Value) there, assign the returned value and refresh lookup information.
TFormBase form can obtain,
use and return these values.
Base Etv DB Form is TFormBase with automatic page generation for editing one record, defining and setting of filters and queries, opening, sorting, searching and refreshing
of information, auto calculation of its width by main dataset grid, procedures
for quick creation, searching and calling of forms, other properties that can be
visible in the Object Inspector at the design-time, other functions and options.
Popup menus of data-aware controls
contain functions of navigation, records cloning, plus many others depending on
the type of controls. Popup menus are auto attached to all etv controls without
them; they have fully functional shortcuts. Only one instance of popup menu of
each type is created and used for all corresponding controls.
for different controls:
Changing search/input column, toggling between lookup dataset sorting
- DBGrid/EtvDBGrid. fields visibility,
printing of current record, printing of grid, one record/grid toggling,
calculation of field length.
Copying, inserting, selecting all.
- DBRichEdit/EtvDBRichEdit. Font,
basic font, paragraph setting; searching/replacing, printing, copying, inserting, selecting all.
- DBImage. Copying, inserting, loading from
file, saving to file, clearing, scaling.
Dataset popup menu allows:
- Data browsing, editing and other operations
in the designer
- copying labels
from database remarks.
- Auto correcting
- Info about dataset and its fields
Popup menus of data-aware controls allow proceeding to dataset and datafield. EtvDBLookupCombo also
allows width auto sizing, proceeding
Choice of active TabSheet is added to
Popup menu of TEtvPageControl, as it is complicated seldom from other
Controls for db fields & User controls substitution into the library
Certain library components, such as
TEtvFilter, TEtvFindDlg, TFormBase, TEtvDbGrid, etc., while running, create
controls (data-aware or data-unaware) for different field types. A set of functions is used to adapt these controls
to the fields and attach multifunction popup menus to them.
Creation of controls may be re-determined
for any field type, including controls using in the TEtvDbGrid component. For
this, the required variable in your project or library should simply be assigned
the function of creation. Redefined controls will be used by etv components.
Other components and mechanisms
- Editing data in design-time; You may call
"Base DB form" and edit, sort, search data, get extracts of
- Popup menu in designer consists copying
to the clipboard, pumping labels
from the database remarks, field auto correction, info about dataset and its
- Checking a mastersource by inserting a
i.e. master record must exist and if one is in the insert mode it call post.
fields calculation from Delphi for single user applications.
- Other properties and events
Turn off the data
on inactive pages to increase speed. It can turn off dbaware control from
datasource and detail dataset from master. The design-time popup menu allows to
choose current TabSheet. TEtvTabSheet has the OnActivate and OnDeactivate events.
Automatic opening/refreshing datasets in the run-time. This mechanism may open datasets in datamodules (not all, optionally)
when project opening, opening or refreshing some datasets represented on a form then one
and auxiliary components. Printing in the text and graphics mode, output
to the file, page setup, numbering, fonts choice, including text mode, line spacing and
Records cloning for the one dataset or for the group of datasets linked
as master-detail or differently. Cloning confirmation and confirmation on each detail-dataset,
events for finishing fill for each record.
search and replacing, i.e. it can process from record to record, dialog for it.
Search and replacing again. Popup menu with font,
basic font, paragraph, search/replacing, print, copying, inserting, selecting all.
Various functions for design and run
time, property and component editors.